Sunday, April 20, 2008

Springers

April 12, 2008

I was invited to join our former clinic nurse and the Doc that used to have my job for a day on the Columbia chasing Salmon. We met a few miles below Bonneville at 6 AM and hopped in the boat for the ride upstream. The menu on this trip was salmon egg clusters. I am always fascinated by the special cures and sauces that people use when fishing for Salmon out on the Columbia. I have used herring a couple times in the past and each person I have fished with has their own version of "special sauce" they squirt on the bait to attract the fish. I thought spawning fish did not eat????

Well the fish sure were hungry for something, by 10:30 we had four fish in the boat, had lost one, and released a native fish. Not too shabby. By the time I got mine filleted I had about 7.5 lbs. of prime spring chinook. We grilled up half a fillet that night and I smoked a full 3.5 lb. fillet the next day. Man, you gotta love meat fishing when you bring home something as tasty as that!

No comments: